BRIEF HISTORY  

According to old military maps, the bay was named El Castillo (english: castle), referring to the area’s original fort.  Although it is currently closed to the public, the fort still exists.  The Castillo San Buenaventura was built in 1743 to protect the inhabitants of the village from pirates.

From 1730, the harbour was one of the three main ports of the island for many years, providing shipping links to the nearby town of Antigua.

Development for tourism began in earnest during the 1980s.  Prior to that, the village consisted only of a beach, two houses and the old fort.  Further development is closely monitored due to the island’s status as a nature reserve.

1/3

GOVERNMENT

The system of government is complicated with many layers!  If you’re keen to know the details, brace yourself and read on!

Caleta de Fuste is a town in the municipality of Antigua.  The municipality’s main town is also called Antigua and this is where the area’s main government offices are (Ayuntamiento).


The municipality of Antigua is on the island of Fuerteventura, which is part of the Province of Las Palmas.

The Province of Las Palmas includes 3 of the main Canary Islands  - Gran Canaria, Lanzarote and Fuerteventura.  Its capital is the city of “Las Palmas” in Gran Canaria.


The Province of Las Palmas is part of the autonomous community of the Canary Islands, which itself, is part of the state of Spain.